Search the Silliness

Monday, January 26, 2009

the name that shall not be spoken

I have a friend, yes, we are real friends, who does not speak her name. She adds such random joy to my life, she deserves several bloggings. Today I shall blog about what happened yesterday:

Busi, Marian, and I, were going to the Statistics Department Chinese New Year Party. The Stat department held the potluck celebration instead of a typical Christmas party at the end of Fall Semester. This makes sense, mostly because the department is over 50% Asian. In true respect for the Asian theme, Busi suggested we make dumplings. Now, I like getting creative in the kitchen, but really, I don't feel confident in my wonton-forming skills. So the three of us wandered around the Asian Market for about a half hour and left with two bags of frozen dumplings and a bottle of sauce. Busi wished she could be making them from scratch as she did with Matt Henry (don't let the British-sounding name fool you...) I was excited to use my wok. Marian needed coffee.

We quickly got tiny chicken dumplings stuck to the wok and had to call Matt for help. He came to the rescue (?) like a good friend. Soon, in the confusion of burning dumplings sticking to pans and my trying to make cookies to salvage our potluck attendance, a pyrex dish exploded on the stove, throwing shreds of glass all about my kitchen.

Busi: "hahaha...after the initial shock...i thought...boy miranda is really prepared for accidents. ...but that was my random thought" Marian, in her good, FDA-employee, character, leapt to her feet. "Don't move!" She commanded, "Where's a broom?" Oh! Typed words do not do her gallantry justice! Somehow, with Marian's emergency alert system and Busi's help, we cleaned up most of the shards of glass and headed to the party an hour late. oh! Happy New Year!!!! Next time, I will have to do Karaoke in Chinese.

No comments:

Post a Comment