Search the Silliness

Thursday, August 4, 2011

goodbye

Bonpa has had some health issues in the past.
He was diagnosed with lung cancer about 3 weeks ago. They said he had 3 weeks to live and he died 2 weeks after that (last Saturday). He lost body functions quickly. I think he waited for all of his children to arrive and say goodbye. :'( 
tears
He was such a wonderful man, great father and husband, it's sad to see him go. 
But we know he is in a better place now, and without pain or shame.  
He's where he would want to be, 
at the foot of the Lord whom he served.

I want to be like my Bonpa, always loving, always asking the important questions, and making a joke. He served in prison ministry well into his 80's. He held his wife's hand until his dying day. 
photo by Michelle Young ---www.endearingstudios.com
This is how I will remember him, squeezing my shoulders firmly, but gently, looking into my eyes
with a  a slight squint, real smile, and a hint of a laugh.

I will fly out tonight: To Iceland, then the Netherlands.
I will take a train to Belgium on Friday when I arrive. 
I will see all my sweet relatives.
I will miss my darling husband. 
I will cry. 
I will not wear black, because Bonpa didn't want us to. 
I will tear up because he wanted bright colors to represent life.
I will celebrate a life well lived, a race well run, a legacy left for me and my descendants.

1 comment:

  1. My grampa died in May, very similarly. Diagnosed with lymphomas and died two weeks later. He did not want us to wear black because he celebrated life. Grampa's are so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete