Search the Silliness

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

shake, rattle, & roll

There was an earthquake in Virginia today. It really shook up the east coast, from gridlock in New York to government evacuations in DC and down to North Carolina.




 I was at my desk wondering what stupid thing the construction guys down the hall had done to cause such a shake. Then I thought I was going to die. Then it occurred to me that this could be an earthquake!  But there aren't earthquakes like that in Virginia!

I texted Ladson. He felt it, too, 5 miles away in DC

My coworker, Justin looked it up. 5.8 on the Richter scale.
That's an earthquake, folks.

Then my building evacuated.

For some reason the powers that be thought it was a good idea for hundreds of people to go out in the courtyard on top of the parking garage, between all of the office buildings and condos.

really??? people????

Then they decided we should move to be above solid ground: on 18th street, still surrounded by 13 story buildings.
The farmers market comes to Crystal City on Tuesday afternoons. How perfect.
Who knew that earthquakes were so good for business?!?
Stand attendants raced to pull out the cheese from ice chests. I wonder if they ran out of veggies by now!?

Then they decided that the building could not be deemed safe and we were to go in "at your own risk" to get necessities and then leave, getting our cars, again, "at your own risk".

 and traffic wasn't even bad!
So I get to play hookie for the afternoon!
So I blogged.
and maybe I should attack some thank you notes.
maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment