Search the Silliness

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

ad hoc

this post is for a real friend.

Today I spoke with a project manager at my office about automating the status reports she and the project lead compile weekly. She mentioned that there are tasks done regularly and then there are ad hoc... I thought that was fun so i threw back a sentence with "ad hoc" in it.

My friend had a similar instance at work where her supervisor repeatedly mentioned ad hoc queries. "People tend to do ad hoc queries on the data" he said, "and if these ad hoc requests are out there, there needs to be a way for the ad hoc requests to be fulfilled..."

yup

I don't think I knew what 'ad hoc' meant until about a year ago. According to my data warehousing book:
some users will build their own queries against the data warehouse from scratch; this is what we mean by ad hoc access. These business analysts or power users, are usually...
Now that I am near the end of this post, I am realizing how incredibly boring and pointless this post is.
wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment